We know you want to succeed in your studies. So do we. This is why we designed the curriculum for the English Language Institute (ELI) to suit students of all levels of English proficiency based on students' needs and interests.
As an English Language Institute student, you will have the opportunity to learn side-by-side with students from all over the world in a quality English language program staffed with expert instructors. You can expect to benefit from:
- Small class sizes that allow more one-on-one interaction and class time with instructors
- Affordable and competitive costs
- Conditional acceptance to the college
- Individual academic advising for students
- TOEFL and IELTS preparation
- Computer assisted instruction
- Access to computing and library facilities
- 7-level curriculum with 20 hours of intensive English classes per week
- Extracurricular activities and participation in student life
- Specialized classes based on future major or interest, such as English for academic purposes, business English and more
- Friendly atmosphere and safe environment
- Conversation Partner: meet once a week with native English speaker to practice “real” English
- Assistance with visa process
Academic Calendar 2023-24
|Fall 1, 2023
|Labor Day (no class)
|Fall 2, 2023
|Thanksgiving Break (no class)
|Spring 1, 2024
|President’s Day (no class)
|Spring 2, 2024
|March 28 – April 1
|Easter Break (no class)
Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College and its partner institutions accept completion of English Language Institute in place of the TOEFL or IELTS and as proof of English proficiency. ELI students who successfully complete Level 7 are given a “Program Completion Diploma.” ELI will send official transcripts/program completion documents to SMWC and/or other partner institutions. Assistance in applying to universities is available free of charge to all ELI students.
- Indiana State University
- Ivy Tech Community College
Standards and Ethics
Committed to providing the highest quality in curriculum offerings and the best possible services, ELI supports and complies with the standards for intensive English programs established by NAFSA: Association of International Education; English USA (Formerly American Association of Intensive English Programs (AAIEP)); Indiana Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages, and the Association of Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), and the National Association of Foreign Student Advisors.
In partnership with choice agencies, ELI works to prioritize students’ academic needs, satisfaction and success. All of ELI’s student recruitment partners abide by the NAFSA Code of Ethics.